I received this from Sheyla Paz-Hicks and also the Middle Tennessee Hispanic Democrats:
The media and Nashville Hispanic community leaders met yesterday at Las Cazuelas Mexican Grill Restaurant to organize a way to help our city and the state of Tennessee. During the meeting, we came up with the name of "UNITED FOR TENNESSEE": a support group for those affected by the disaster caused by the recent flooding on April 30 to May 2.And Sheyla Paz-Hicks added these follow-up details:
During the meeting we agreed:
* There will be a Radio-Telethon (LATINTON) on Thursday, May 6 from 8:00 am to 8:00 p.m. on the premises of the Nashville Red Cross located at 2201 Charlotte Pike, Nashville, TN. Donations will be received by credit card, debit card, personal checks and cash. Donations by credit or debit card may be given by telephone. Donations in cash or personal checks must be taken personally to the offices of the Red Cross in Nashville at the address provided above.
* The goals for this event is to obtain the following donations:
- Monetary donations: $20,000
- Water Donations: 500 boxes (cases of 24 or 32 bottles)
- Donations of diapers: 50 boxes
- Donations of personal care items: 1000
- Blood donations: 50
- Bilingual Volunteers: 200
- Volunteers sparingly: 400
For information about who can donate blood, please visit this website:
Non-perishable food donations and clothing, can be taken to Supermercado La Reyna 2, located at 3755 Nolensville Pike Nashville, TN. 37211
Today more collection centers around the city will be added to the list.
All donations will be delivered to the Hispanic Salvation Army (Salvation Army) for them to distribute it efficiently to the needy. Salvation Army have great experience in the distribution of donations and this will support us during this enduring work.
This is a call to all the media and the community to UNITED FOR TENNESSEE, we can rebuild our beautiful city.
Visit this website for daily information on events and development of our campaign:
For more information or questions please call Nereida Vargas
For the May 6 event:
*Please arrive at 7:40 a.m. to set up.
*Victor Quintero has red cross t-shirts for all of us
*Bring a cell phone you are willing to use to answer phone calls
*Bring a laptop to enter volunteer data if you have one
*I will be bringing an extension and multi-plug for connecting laptops
*Make sure to bring your cell phone charger... if your phone died then we are dead! :-)
*Remember that the number that people will be calling in is (615) 823-2775. When you hear the operator, please select the number 1 to answer the call.
*Not sure yet who will be providing us some food... in any case bring your own...
*The red cross will have a partner there to help pick up the donations.
*At this location (red cross): Will be only collection of water, diapers, bathe & cleaning products, blood donations and most importantly monetary donations. All other donations must be taken to Supermercado La Reyna 2.
*All donations collected at La Reyna will be taken to Salvation Army for its proper distribution.